I will be offering a FREE talk on the holistic treatment of depression on September 24th, from 7:00 – 9:00 PM at the Acupuncture & Integrative Medicine College in Berkeley, CA.
The World Health Organization states that depression is the leading cause of disability, affecting more than 120 million people worldwide. Antidepressants are now the most popular class of drugs in the U.S., and their use has been growing rapidly over the past two decades. From 1990 to 2000, prescriptions for SSRIs (the leading class of antidepressant drugs) rose by a staggering 1300%. In the last year alone, 30 million patients in the U.S. spent over $12 billion on antidepressants.
However, despite their aggressive promotion and widespread use, recent evidence suggests that antidepressants are not as effective as we have been led to believe. Other studies have raised concerns about the long-term safety of antidepressant drugs, including a potential increase in suicidal behavior in both children and adults.
In this two-hour presentation, you’ll learn about several non-drug treatments that are clinically proven to be at least as effective as antidepressants for relieving depression in all but the most severe cases. We will also review various theories on the nature and causes of depression, drawing upon both modern science and traditional wisdom.
WARNING: Withdrawal from antidepressant drugs must be very gradual, and should always be done under the supervision of a licensed medical professional. Do not, under any circumstances, stop taking your medication without such supervision.
Date: Wednesday, September 24th
Time: 7:00 – 9:00 PM
Acupuncture & Integrative Medicine College (AIMC)
2550 Shattuck Ave (at Blake)
Berkeley, CA 94704
AIMC is an easy, 10-minute walk south on Shattuck from downtown Berkeley BART.
Click here to download a PDF flyer for the event.
- September slowdown I will be posting less frequently over the next few weeks as I prepare for...
- Web-based seminar on natural treatment of depression Integrative medicine pioneer and renowned psychiatrist James Gordon MD is teaching a four-part online series...
- Free Talk: The Truth About Cholesterol I am offering a free public talk on January 29th, 2009 in Berkeley, CA which...
- Free talk: The truth about cholesterol I am offering a free public talk next week in Berkeley, CA which debunks the...
- Free Talk: The Truth About Cholesterol I am offering a free public talk on Tuesday, October 27th, 2009 in Berkeley, CA...
Need help? I consult with patients locally in the SF Bay Area and around the world via telephone & Skype. Please contact me to learn more.