In this episode we discuss the gut-brain axis: the relationship between digestive health and cognitive function, memory, depression, anxiety and other mental and behavioral health issues. We cover:
- the basic physiology involved
- how inflammation in the gut affects the brain
- how decreased brain activity compromises gut function
- how to recognize the signs and symptoms of gut-brain axis dysfunction
- studies demonstrating gut-brain dysfunction and its effects on health
- dietary and lifestyle modifications to improve gut-brain function.
I think the gut-brain axis is one of the most important and least recognized factors in human health. If you follow a good diet (Paleo, Primal, Perfect Health Diet, etc.) and you’re still experiencing gut symptoms, it’s likely you have a gut-brain axis issue.