Dr. Emily Deans’ Evolutionary Psychiatry blog has quickly become one of my favorites over the past year. It’s rare to find a psychiatrist that acknowledges the role of nutrition in mental and behavioral health at all, much less one that approaches these topics from an evolutionary perspective.
This week Dr. Deans joins us on the podcast to discuss the role of Paleo nutrition in mental health. Topics covered include:
- The link between diet and Alzheimer’s
- Can nutritional changes effect depression?
- Does gastric bypass surgery lead to mental health issues?
- Can gluten intolerance induce mental disorders?
- What role does the “modern lifestyle” play in the increasing prevalence of mental health problems?
- How does an individual’s mental state influence his/her biology?
- Does iron deficiency anemia contribute to mental health problems?